Reasons to Join
1. License Protection – The OAV is the only organization in Virginia that is dedicated to protecting your License. We maintain a legislative watch and have a call to action when your license or scope of practice is threatened.
2. OAA Membership – Membership in the OAV also includes a membership to the Opticians Association of America (OAA) which offers additional protection on the federal legislative level.
3. Am I Legal? – The Association is there for you to answer many of the questions you may have concerning prescription expiration dates, scope of practice and so much more.
4. Educational Conferences – Held in the Spring and the Fall, OAV conferences provide ABO/NCLE CECs and hands-on workshops for your training needs. Leading national lecturers share their expertise on the latest technology available and sales techniques.
5. Networking – There are many opportunities to meet with your colleagues and vendors, share and expand your knowledge, and to promote your career.
6. Recognition – Professional affiliation with your state organization shows your commitment and dedication to your profession. Members receive a certificate, suitable for framing, showing affiliation.
7. Unity – Opticians standing together to advance our goals.
8. Newsletters – Our quarterly newsletter and e-mail updates keeps you abreast of the latest news in your organization.
9. Community Service Opportunities – The OAV works with local communities to provide free eyewear for those who not other have any.
10. Leadership – Board Meetings, open to all OAV members, are held quarterly to conduct the business of the organization. Anyone who is an OAV member may be elected to the Board of Directors and is a great way to get your voice heard and gain valuable leadership experience
What can OAV do for you as a Virginia Licensed Optician?
- OAV represents VA Opticians in the legislature and follows potential changes to laws that might affect Virginia Opticians
- Assists opticians in furthering their knowledge with educational opportunities
- Provides opportunities to networking with other Opticians and industry partners across the State
- Opportunities for Community Service
Levels of Membership
- Active – Virginia Licensed Opticians
- Associate – Opticianry Student or Registered Apprentice
- Affiliate – Out-of-state license, optical staff or supporter
- Partner – Commercial partner interested in reaching Virginia Opticians and supporting OAV
Membership is for a year, and renews based on your join date.